littlegreendot

Google
 

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Jeanius

As you all know, I'm trying to buy as few new clothes as possible, just as I'm trying to buy as little new everything else as I can. Let me tell you this hasn't been easy.

This morning though as I was pulling my favourite Marc Jacobs jeans out of the wardrobe I noticed to my horror a threadbare patch just gone through to a hole in the crotch. Oh no, diaster! Environment aside, not only can I not afford new jeans right now, but these have only just got really perfect - which is when jeans always start to fall apart.

So imagine my delight when, browsing one of my fave green blogs Eco Street, I found this entry about a company in NYC, denim therapy, which reconstructs your jeans for about $20 a pop. I am so sending mine in, along with my all-time favourite Calvins which I've been hanging on to in the vain hope that something like this might happen one day (you see, they could have been in landfill by now, but thanks to my complete inability to throw any clothes away ever, they will now find new life).

I love this - is a great antidote to the awful disposable fashion thing we've all got ourselves into. As you know, I love Top Shop at least as much as the next girl but make do and mend is surely the wave of the future. To this end, this week I've also customised a charity shop tunic for Dot and reviewed the bags of clothes under my bed and resurrected a few items. Applying the same principal to home furnishings, I've also updated some curtains for our living room with lovely red and white striped ribbon the hubby bought in the UK - pics soon. Beats buying a whole new set, anyway. Am now on the lookout for an old blanket or bit of fabric to turn our bedroom curtains into blackout blinds to make Dot's daytime naps a bit less of a struggle. Will let you know what I dig up.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound really handy, modifying clothes for yourself and Dot. I've hardly bought anything for my little daughter (nearly 3 years old now), almost all clothes are hand-me-downs. We're so lucky, two friends with slightly older daughters have handed down lots of gorgeous clothes for her. Fortunate really, I'm no good at sewing, although I do enjoy knitting bits for her.

 
At 3:11 AM , Blogger Amelia said...

Let me know how Denim Therapy goes - it's a great idea. Something I'd like to blog about. It would really work in London I think. Hope you guys are well etc. Ax

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home